*Prices listed are for both standup paddleboard and kayak lessons
**Privates lessons and Happy Paddle Packages are scheduled according to your availability. Scheduled group classes are Sundays at 4pm, Mondays at 6pm, and Fridays at 8:30am. Reservations are required.
Foundations Paddle Courses
For the summer of 2018, Coast to Coast Paddle is introducing Kayak Foundations and Standup Paddleboard Foundations, two five-week workshops designed to help you take your paddling to the next level. Over the course of five weeks, we’ll build both the length and intensity of our paddles, culminating in a “graduation paddle” in which we set our sights on not just our longest paddle, but also the most exposed to conditions. We’ll learn the basics of paddling, including paddling efficiently, powerfully, and safely. We’ll also learn how to read weather forecasts and respond to unexpected changes in the weather and conditions. We’ll learn how to alter planned routes to maximize safety and enjoyment, or, if your route is set, how to use coastal topography, wind, and swell direction to reduce the risk of overexposure. Each course will be offered on different nights, so you can choose your favorite craft, or round out your paddling by tackling both!
Each session will begin with an on the water skills section, where we focus on increasingly advanced skills and strokes for maneuvering your board or kayak and paddling efficiently. After the skills section, we will go for a paddle, increasing the distance each session and applying our newly learned skills. Along the way, we'll examine the way weather, wind, and tide dictate our route choice, and how to use features of the coastal landscape to help manage conditions when weather changes unexpectedly.
Tuesday June 19th- 6pm
Tuesday June 26th- 6pm
Tuesday July 10th-6pm
Tuesday July17th- 6pm
Saturday July 28th- 6am
Standup Paddleboard Foundations
Wednesday June 20th- 6pm
Wednesday June 27th- 6pm
Wednesday July 11th- 6pm
Wednesday July 18th- 6pm
Sunday July 29th- 6am
Skills covered in the courses include, but are not limited to:
Efficient forward paddling
Pivot Turns (paddle boarding)
Kayak Rescues: T-rescue, Eskimo Rescue, and Self Rescue with and without paddle float
Paddleboard Flip Rescue
Draw strokes- bow, stern, feathered, sculling, and cross bow
A kayak or stand up paddle board lesson is a great way to jump start a lifetime of paddling. If you’re new to paddling, let a qualified instructor show you the basic techniques for getting on a paddle board or in a kayak. Emphasis in these lessons is placed on proper technique, safety, and efficiency, so you can get the most out of your time on the water.
For paddlers who have already mastered the basics, a lesson is a great way to leap-frog your skills, so you can paddle further up the coast, or to that island you’ve dreamed of reaching.
Each lesson is customized to the skill level and needs of the individual paddler. Listed below are just a few examples of the things you can learn on a paddle board or kayak.
Stand Up Paddle Board
- Proper forward stroke technique, emphasizing using your entire core to help drive your board through the water.
- Understand the principle of "planting your paddle" and pulling your board past it, rather than moving the blade through the water.
- Maneuver your board with sweep strokes and pivot turns, focusing on proper blade and shaft angles as well as how to keep balanced when moving around on the board.
- Strategies for paddling against headwinds or strong currents, so that you can take to the water in a variety of conditions.
- Proper forward stroke technique, emphasizing using the larger muscle groups of the body and proper feathering so you can kayak for longer without fatigue.
- Assisted rescues and self rescues in the event of a capsize, allowing you to safely manage situations that occasionally occur on the water.
- Learn to control the kayak from the cockpit through edge control, paddle strokes, and bracing, allowing you to efficiently and safely reach your paddling destination.